May is National Electrical Safety Month

Overloaded electrical outlets are potential fire hazards. May is National Electrical Safety Month. Plug into safety.Each year, more than 140,000 electrical fires occur across the nation. Follow these tips to stay safe:

  • Water and electricity don’t mix. You’ve heard this before, but we’ll say it again. Remember that water cannot extinguish an electrical fire. This type is fire is caused when a wire or electrical device overheats.
  • Avoid overloaded electrical outlets. Too many extension cords or power strips may cause your outlet to overheat and start a fire. Don’t use extension cords as a permanent solution. Instead, hire your local electrician to add more outlets in a room.
  • Keep metal objects out of appliances and plugs. If a piece of toast gets stuck in the toaster, never use a metal knife to retrieve it. Unplug the toaster and then use a different tool to retrieve it.
  • Turn lights off when not in use. In addition to the cost savings on your next electric bill, this simple task will also help prevent electrical fires from overheated bulbs. Consider installing motion-detecting light switches.



May 2017

What our customers say

An informed customer is our greatest asset.