In the right light
Decorate your home safely during the holidays
- Inspect all lights, decorations and extension cords for damage before using.
- Exercise caution when decorating near power lines. Keep yourself and your equipment at least 20 feet from power lines.
- Make sure all extension cords and electrical decorations are marked for proper use.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Outdoor electric lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs).
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets with too many decorations or electrical devices. They can overheat and cause a fire.