The U.S. Department of Energy’s Weatherization Assistance Program installs energy efficiency measures in the homes of qualifying homeowners free of charge. The Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska administers these funds. The mission of WAP is to reduce energy costs for low-income families, particularly those age 60 or older, persons with disabilities, and children under the age of six, while safeguarding their health and safety.
Weatherization is available to homes that are owned or rented (with landlord permission), and the structure may be frame or mobile.
- Furnace & water heater inspection (if found unsafe, it can be repaired or replaced)
- Adding insulation in attics and walls
- Attic ventilation
- Insulating crawl spaces
- Installing water heater jackets
- Insulating water heater pipes
- Weather-stripping & caulking around doors, windows and general heat waste areas
- Repairing broken windows and doors (possibly replacing them, if determined cost effective by the National Energy Audit Tool)
How it works
- Individual fills out an application.
- Individual is notified of eligibility via letter. Those who qualify are typically placed on a waiting list.
- If eligible: The Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska WAP office will call to set up an initial inspection of the home to determine needed improvements.
- Upgrades will be made by either the Community Action Partnership of Mid-Nebraska’s in-house crew or by a pre-qualified contractor.
- Once the work is completed, it is inspected to ensure it meets applicable federal standards.
Qualification is based on income. If you receive Supplemental Security Income, you qualify automatically.
|Household size||Max Gross Income*|
*2021 Federal Poverty Guidelines
|Dawson, Gosper & East Frontier||308-324-4219|
The ugly Christmas sweater. How is it that this garment is so popular?
A Q & A with Dawson PPD Board Member Joe Jeffrey
When you’re feeling chilly at home, there are several budget-friendly ways you can keep comfortable without turning up the thermostat.