About Dawson PPD
Dawson Public Power District serves more than 23,000 electric meters and maintains over 5,800 miles of power lines in south central Nebraska, along the Platte River Valley. Dawson PPD was organized on February 26, 1937.
With nearly 90 employees, Dawson PPD is one of the largest rural systems in the state of Nebraska. The District is a member of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association and the Nebraska Rural Electric Association. Our general manager is Gwen Kautz. The District is guided by an elected eleven-person board of directors, representing the people we serve.
Dawson PPD’s territory includes all of the rural areas in Dawson and Buffalo Counties, approximately two-thirds of Gosper County, a third of Lincoln County and parts of Custer, Sherman and Frontier Counties. The District also serves several villages: Hershey, Maxwell, Brady, Farnam, Eustis, Elwood, Eddyville, Smithfield, Overton, Sumner, Miller, Riverdale, Amherst, Odessa and Pleasanton. Dawson PPD does not serve customers within the cities of North Platte, Gothenburg, Cozad, Lexington, Elm Creek, Kearney, Gibbon, Shelton or Ravenna.
The District’s headquarters is located in Lexington. Our service centers are located in North Platte, Gothenburg, Sumner, Ravenna and Kearney.
Dawson PPD purchases electricity from Nebraska Public Power District and distributes it to customers in our area. During the summer months, as our energy sales peak, we receive supplemental power from Western Area Power Association. This low-cost WAPA power is produced by federally-owned hydro-electric generators.
Nearly half of Dawson PPD’s revenue is generated by electricity sales to residential and farm customers. Another third of the revenue comes from irrigation services.
In addition to providing power, Dawson PPD offers residential and agricultural surge suppression products.
We exist to safely provide reliable, low-cost power using effective technology to meet our customers’ needs.