Know what is below
The 811 process for homeowners
For projects that include planting a tree, installing a mailbox or building a deck, among others.
- Notify – Notify your local one-call center by calling 811 or making an online request 2-3 days before work begins. The one-call center will transmit information to affected utility operators. This call only locates public utilities. All private utilities (the homeowner’s electrical wire, water lines, sewer systems, underground dog fences, etc.) need to be located by homeowner. Public utility responsibility ends at the meter. Private lines start on the load side of the meter.
- Wait – Wait 2-3 days for affected utility operators to respond to your request. On average, between 7-8 utility operators are notified for each request.
- Confirm – Confirm that all affected utility operators have responded to your request by comparing the marks to the list of the utilities the one-call center notified.
- Respect – Respect the marks. The marks provided by the affected utility operators are your guide for the duration of your project. If you are unable to maintain the marks during your project, or the project will continue past your requested expiration date, please call 811 and ask for a re-mark.
- Dig carefully – If you can’t avoid digging near the marks (within 18-24 inches on all sides, depending on state law), consider moving your project to another part of your yard.